RM55,971 for Sibu Orphanage Complex
by Zoee Hillson. Posted on March 31, 2010, Wednesday
KUCHING: A donation amounting to RM55,971.20 collected from 225 mosques in Sarawak was presented to Assistant Minister in the Chief Minister’s Department (Islamic Affairs) Datuk Daud Abdul Rahman by Sarawak Islamic Council chairman Datu Putit Matzen yesterday as a donation for the soon-to-be completed Sibu Orphanage Complex.
According to Daud, the RM12 million orphanage will be the biggest in the state, and it is scheduled to be completed in February next year.
He added that the new orphanage would be able to provide quality care and education to around 300 orphans from Sibu and its surrounding areas.
He said currently there were not enough orphanages in the state to cater to the growing number of orphans, especially from the rural areas.
“It is hoped that with the establishment of this orphanage in Sibu, the orphans from the rural areas around Sibu will also receive quality care and education,” he stressed.
Daud also said there were also plans to build orphanages in Bintulu and Mukah, adding that they were now waiting for the necessary funds to start the projects.
He added that they had already acquired the land.
There are currently two orphanage under Sarawak Orphans Welfare Organisation (Peryatim) – one each in Miri and Kuching.
The assistant minister urged the public and private sectors to help support orphanages in the state.
Residents from Laila Taib Welfare Complex, who presented their drawings to Putit as a souvenir, were also present during the function.
- Kabul hospital guard opens fire, kills foreign doctor
- Kota Bahru bound Firefly flight returns to Penang due to faulty landing gear
- May 25 set as Bukit Gelugor by-election, several factors taken into account, says EC
- US judge dismisses Tarantino lawsuit against website
- H1N1 Flu kills 45 in Thailand this year
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement