One-hour passport renewal for Kuching folk
Posted on October 2, 2010, Saturday
KUCHING: Locals can now renew their passports in just an hour with the launch of the Malaysian Passport Renewal Kiosk (Kippas) at Bangunan Sultan Iskandar here yesterday.
The kiosk, the 15th of its kind in the country, was launched by Sarawak federal secretary Md Basimin Yahaya.
Speaking at the function, state Immigration director Datuk Robert Lian said with the installation of the kiosk, those who want to renew their passports need not have to queue up at the department’s counters anymore.
They just need to place their applications in a machine together with the required payment.
“In an hour they will be able to collect their passports from our normal counters by presenting their payment receipts,” he said.
He pointed out that the launch of Kippas here meant that all Immigration offices throughout the state could now renew passports within an hour.
Since last May, Immigration offices in
Sibu, Miri, Limbang and Bintulu, could process and issue passports within an hour.
The one-hour processing time, however, was only for the issuance of new passports and also renewal where the original documents were without any defects, he explained.
For those with defects or applications that required further screening due to security reasons, the procedures would be different and the process could take up to one month, Robert said.
Nevertheless, he said, with the new machine, the department would be able to further improve its delivery system as encouraged by the government.
Robert said for the first six months of this year the Sarawak Immigration Department processed and issued 62,612 passports, an increase of 50 per cent compared to the corresponding period last year.
- Kabul hospital guard opens fire, kills foreign doctor
- Kota Bahru bound Firefly flight returns to Penang due to faulty landing gear
- May 25 set as Bukit Gelugor by-election, several factors taken into account, says EC
- US judge dismisses Tarantino lawsuit against website
- H1N1 Flu kills 45 in Thailand this year
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement