Doctor, nurse drown at Kampung Giam waterfall
Posted on May 9, 2011, Monday
KUCHING: A joyful outing at the Kampung Giam waterfall here for four colleagues from the Sarawak General Hospital’s Heart Centre in Kota Samarahan turned tragic when two of them, a doctor and a nurse, drowned.
The victims were identified as Mohamad Azri Dollah, 27, from Semariang, here, who had just completed his housemanship, and nurse Norfazillah Abdul Kadir, 23, from Kampung Baru, Samarahan.
They and two nurses from the heart centre had gone to picnic and swim at the waterfall area, about 35km from Kuching city, this morning.
At about 11am, Norfazillah was seen struggling in the water and calling out for help. Realising that she could not swim, Mohamad Azri jumped into the water to save her.
However, he too got into difficulty due to the swift current and with the frightened Norfazillah pulling at him, both went under water and disappeared.
Their two colleagues who saw the incident went to get help from the villagers, following which a Kampung Giam Rela (People’s Volunteer Corps) team led by Captain Dewort Jawap and several villagers mounted a search-and-rescue operation at the scene of the incident.
“The bodies of the two drowned victims were found by villagers about 12.30pm and were sent to the Sarawak General Hospital,” said Dewort.
Friends of the victims rushed to the waterfall on hearing about the incident.
The Kampung Giam waterfall is a popular eco-tourism attraction with many people picnicking and swimming there due to its cool, crystal clear water and scenic beauty.
According to some villagers, people had drowned there before this incident due to the swift river current. – Bernama
- Two cars catch fire in two separate incidents
- Kabul hospital guard opens fire, kills foreign doctor
- Kota Bahru bound Firefly flight returns to Penang due to faulty landing gear
- May 25 set as Bukit Gelugor by-election, several factors taken into account, says EC
- US judge dismisses Tarantino lawsuit against website
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement