Sibu police chief dares gangsters to seek him

LETHAL WEAPONS: Sibu police chief ACP Shafie Ismail and ASP Tega Bilong (right) showing two ‘Bakakoks’ that were seized from gangsters. Yesterday, Shafie dared the gangsters to come to him directly instead of going after his man.

SIBU: Sibu police chief ACP Shafie Ismail yesterday dared the gangsters to come to him directly instead of going after his man.

A molotov cocktail was thrown at a police inspector’s car resulting in a fire which damaged the driver’s side door.

No casualty was reported.

“My man is following my instruction to carry out his task and they (the gangsters) are apparently trying to challenge me,” he said in a press conference at Sibu Central Police Station.

“Be a gentleman, and please come to me directly.”

The incident happened at the back lane in Tuanku Osman Road between 9.45am and 10am.

The inspector’s car used by his wife was parked there. There was, however, no witness to the incident.

When the workers at the shops nearby discovered the fire, they rushed to douse the flames using fire extinguisher.

Members of the public also came to the rescue.

Describing the act as challenging the law, Shafie vowed to capture the gangsters whom he said had been identified by his department.

Shafie said that although he has only served for three and half years in Sibu, he knew the gang.

“It is just a matter of time to capture them,” he noted, but did not disclose the identity of the gangsters as the investigation is ongoing.

The police chief believed that the case was in connection with a gunshot which was fired at a house in Maludan on May 10 around midnight.

In Tuesday’s incident, two men on motorcycle shot at the house of a businessman which was guarded by security guard.

The police arrested six men aged 38 to 50 and seized a ‘Bakakok’ (a home-made shotgun) from them on the same day.

Shafie did not rule out the possibility that the six who are currently under remand are drug addicts and also suspected them of drug trafficking.

In another incident on May 12, firecrackers were thrown into another house which set the compound on fire and window splashed with red paint.

It was believed to be connected to Tuesday’s incident as the owner of the house is the elder sister of the said businessman.

Meanwhile, Shafie said another ‘Bakakok’ was seized from a 21-year-old mother of three at her house in Langsat Road on Thursday in a follow-up raid.

The firearm was believed to belong to her husband who had earlier been arrested for suspected motorcycle theft.

LOOKING FOR CLUES: Senior investigating officer ASP Yeoh Chun Shyan (second left) inspecting the site where a molotov cocktail was thrown at a police inspector’s car.

Print Friendly


We encourage commenting on our stories to give readers a chance to express their opinions; please refrain from vulgar language, insidious, seditious or slanderous remarks. While the comments here reflect the views of the readers, they are not necessarily that of Borneo Post Online. Borneo Post Online reserves the right not to publish or to remove comments that are offensive or volatile. Please read the Commenting Rules.