Studies underway for riverine postal service
by Antonia Chiam, firstname.lastname@example.org. Posted on July 13, 2011, Wednesday
KUCHING: Studies are being conducted by the Information, Communication and Culture Ministry to determine the feasibility of providing postal services to the rural areas of the state by way of sea and river transport.
“This is just a proposal at its preliminary studies but we hope it will not take too long to be implemented. Currently we are looking at the safety issue and operating costs as well as the involvement of local communities in the implementation,” said its minister Datuk Seri Utama Dr Rais Yatim yesterday.
He was speaking to reporters after the official launch and unveiling of the Pos-On-Wheels van service, which is introduced for the convenience, ease and accessibility of Pos Malaysia customers.
On the new service, Dr Rais hoped that the rural folks would fully utilise it.
“Two units are already placed in Sarawak and another five more new units will be given to Sarawak soon.
“Each Pos-On-Wheels is equipped with Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT) satellite that enables the facility to conduct online transactions,” he said.
Pos-On-Wheels have been on the move in selected locations in certain states and will be gradually extended throughout the nation.
Rais said the vans would also be symbols of 1Malaysia as they arrive in the rural areas bringing messages of harmony and unity.
“They will bring clear messages to the people besides providing them with the postal services,’’ he said.
Pos-On-Wheels offers a range of services similar to that of a real post office, such as stamp sales, bill payments, posting of letters, PosParcel and PosDaftar items, study loan payments, postal order purchase and encashment, insurance and Amanah Saham unit trust investment and redemption, among others.
- Two cars catch fire in two separate incidents
- Kabul hospital guard opens fire, kills foreign doctor
- Kota Bahru bound Firefly flight returns to Penang due to faulty landing gear
- May 25 set as Bukit Gelugor by-election, several factors taken into account, says EC
- US judge dismisses Tarantino lawsuit against website
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement