Site Last Updated 2:16 pm, Wednesday

Telco ordered to pay back RM1,349

by Lee Ya Yun, reporters@theborneopost.com. Posted on July 28, 2011, Thursday

KUCHING: Amro Hassan Abdelazem Mohamed Moussa El Wafaei will get a refund of RM1,349 from a telecommunication company, following an order by the Consumer Claims Tribunal (CCT) president Datuk Dr Lawrence Thien yesterday.

Thien said the evidence proved that the Blackberry Torch 9800 smartphone, which Amro bought from the telco, had not been working properly after four months of usage.

The faulty device has caused the complainant to receive his emails late, Thien pointed out.

“Although the phone line is not registered under his (Amro) name, but he is the user and the payer, therefore, he is entitled to the claim.

“The telco has to refund RM1,349 to Amro after RM400 deduction.

The refund must be done within 14 days.

The smartphone must be returned to the company after the complainant receive the refund,” he told the CCT Court here.

Amro bought the smartphone from the telco last February but the phone started to malfunction since last June.

He requested the telco to replace a new phone or give him an immediate refund.

The telco instead suggested that the smartphone be sent for assessment.

However, Amro refused and insisted a refund after he bought a new smartphone from another telco.

Earlier, Thien has postposed the case involving a bank and its customer, Hii Chang Thung, to the next hearing.

He explained that as the bank officer who attended the hearing yesterday was not the staff who dealt with the complainant directly, therefore, it would not be fair for both sides.

“I have decided to postpone the case to the next hearing.

At the same time, the court needs some time to view the CCTV provided by the bank.

The amount might be small but it is an important matter,” he said.

Thien also requested to view the working process of ATM of the bank.

Hii told CCT Court that his three attempts to withdraw money of RM1,500 each from the bank’s ATM failed.

However, according to the bank, the transactions were valid and the money had been taken.

The date of the next hearing would be decided later.

Print Friendly

We encourage commenting on our stories to give readers a chance to express their opinions; please refrain from vulgar language, insidious, seditious or slanderous remarks. While the comments here reflect the views of the readers, they are not necessarily that of Borneo Post Online. Borneo Post Online reserves the right not to publish or to remove comments that are offensive or volatile. Please read the Commenting Rules.

Comments are closed.