Umno Youth calls for abolition of Act
Posted on September 28, 2011, Wednesday
SHAH ALAM: The Umno Youth yesterday called on the government to repeal Section 15 of the Universities and University Colleges Act 1971 which prohibits students from any activities that can be construed as expressing support, sympathy or opposition to any political parties.
Its leader, Khairy Jamaluddin, said the request was made following a survey conducted by the movement among university students last year.
“We hope the government will study Section 15 of the Universities and University Colleges Act to provide opportunities for students at institutions of higher learning to be directly involve in politics,”
he told a media conference after chairing the
Umno Youth executive council meeting here yesterday.
The move, he said, would be in line with the government’s decision to abolish the Internal Security Act (ISA).
In another development, Khairy said the Umno Youth would hold its executive council meeting in all states, beginning with Selangor today, as part of its efforts to draw up strategy to strengthen the party machinery. — Bernama
The movement, he said, would also hold information sessions on the issue stirred by Pas deputy president Mohamad Sabu in claiming the communist as the actual fighters of the country’s independence.
The first information session would be held in Bukit Kepong, Johor, on Oct 29, with the cooperation of the ex-servicemen associations, he added. — Bernama
- English debate attracted only 7 out of 27 Sibu schools — Education assistant officer
- Top catch of 560gm – and RM600 – goes to Dayang Aury in Marine Police fishing contest
- SMK Tiong Hin wins choral speaking contest
- Expo to form part of Miri May Fest celebration
- SMK Marudi best with 95.5 pct overall pass
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement