GCH retail to increase its giant outlets to 127 by year- end
Posted on October 7, 2011, Friday
KUALA LUMPUR: GCH Retail (M) Sdn Bhd is aiming to increase its Giant outlets nationwide to a total of 127 from its current 122 outlets by year-end following a launch of another five more of these hypermarkets, said its chief operating officer Tom Herriott.
These hypermarkets will be in Cheras, Seksyen 30 Shah Alam, Farlim (Penang), Kota Padawan in Kuching and one in Miri, he told a press conference after the launch of the newly enhanced Giant-Citibank credit card, here yesterday.
Herriott said the present 122 Giant outlets nationwide see some RM11 million in sales transactions per month in total.
On the investment for the new hypermarkets, Herriott said it could be between RM60 million and RM80 million depending on the size and location.
“We are always looking for new potential sites, especially in secondary towns,” he added.
Herriott said competition from rival supermarkets was a main challenge going forward, but added that that was good for consumers as they should be allowed to choose where to shop.
Asked on the 30 per cent target for sales of domestic goods, Herriott said it was challenging as consumers tended to be brand-conscious.
He said most consumers still preferred Milo and Ribena despite the fact that Giant had displayed and fast-tracked products made by local small and medium enterprises into the stores.
He added that Giant’s in-house brand sales amounted to 12 per cent of total sales.
Giant, a leading retailing chain, is owned by GCH Retail, which also operates the Guardian and Cold Storage supermarkets. — Bernama
- Kabul hospital guard opens fire, kills foreign doctor
- Kota Bahru bound Firefly flight returns to Penang due to faulty landing gear
- May 25 set as Bukit Gelugor by-election, several factors taken into account, says EC
- US judge dismisses Tarantino lawsuit against website
- H1N1 Flu kills 45 in Thailand this year
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement