Kpop idol Big Bang made history on MTV Europe Music Awards
by Terri Robinson. Posted on November 15, 2011, Tuesday
SOUTH KOREA: Does Kpop truly enjoy a global presence? Well, naysayers would be hard pressed to disagree on the heels of the recent MTV Europe Music Awards (MTV EMAs), where Big Bang snatched the new ‘Best Worldwide Act’ award away from such pop music giants as Britney Spears (North America), Restart (Latin America), Abdelfattah Grini (Africa/India/Middle East) and Lena (Europe).
Even Big Bang appeared to be stunned when their name was called, but recovered quickly and delightedly took the stage to graciously accept their award.
They generously thanked their fans who had stood by them through recent difficult times.
The MTV EMA show was the first time the entire group had appeared together since Daesung’s automobile accident in May, where he was investigated and ultimately cleared of running over a motorcyclist, and G-Dragon’s testing positive for marijuana use.
And stand by them their VIP’s did.
This year’s MTV EMAs garnered an unprecedented total of 158 million votes, with 58 million (almost 1/3 of the total votes) going to Big Bang.
The popular Korean singing group also dominated the EMAs’ Twitter Tracker, which tracked fans who were tweeting about their favourite idols throughout the awards event.
The MTV EMAs were established in 1994 by MTV Europe, as an alternative to the popular American MTV Video Music Awards.
The MTV EMA winners are chosen by music lovers and MTV viewers throughout Europe. This was the first year that the ‘Best Worldwide Act’ was included in the line-up of awards. – www.hellokpop.com
- Two cars catch fire in two separate incidents
- Kabul hospital guard opens fire, kills foreign doctor
- Kota Bahru bound Firefly flight returns to Penang due to faulty landing gear
- May 25 set as Bukit Gelugor by-election, several factors taken into account, says EC
- US judge dismisses Tarantino lawsuit against website
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement