Site Last Updated 12:03 am, Monday

Sim: Check your BR1M application status

by Peter Boon. Posted on January 29, 2012, Sunday

IS MY NAME ON THE LIST?: Anxious applicants check their names on the lists provided at Sibu Civic Center.

SIBU: Measures have been taken to give out the remaining 17,000 1Malaysia People Assistance (BR1M) vouchers next week to avoid backlogs.

Speaking to reporters before a ceremony to present BR1M vouchers to the third batch of successful applicants for Pelawan, Nangka and Bawang Assan constituencies at the Civic Center here yesterday, Sibu Resident Sim Kok Kee advised applicants to check and collect their vouchers at the Sibu Town Square from tomorrow till
Feb 3.

The brief ceremony yesterday saw Second Finance Minister Dato Sri Wong Soon Koh handing over the vouchers to the recipients.

HOW IS IT?: Wong (left) listens attentively to a recipient, while Sim (right) looks on.

Sim said the total number of successful applicants for Sibu district to-date was about 24,000.

“About 7,000 vouchers have been given out as at today (yesterday), and the remainder has yet to be distributed. Hence, to avoid any backlog should there be a fourth or fifth batches later, applicants should check and collect their vouchers (if they are successful) at the Sibu Town Square, starting next Monday till Friday, between 8am and 5pm.

“We will try to give them out during the whole of next week. We will station staff at the counters even during lunch hours for the convenience of the public.”

He added that the measures taken were meant to alleviate overcrowding at the district office, as a lot of people thronged there for the past one week.

The total successful number of applicants for the third batch stood at about 12,000.

Sim reminded applicants to refrain from crowding at the district office here as they would be notified of their status via mail. If they have not received any mail, they could check their status at the Sibu Town Square.

“We will notify the successful ones while the Ministry of Finance (MOF) will directly inform those who are not successful.”

He said those applicants who had yet to collect their vouchers would be notified through letters, saying that the deadline for collection had been extended until middle of March.

“They need not be unduly worried or rushed to cash them upon receiving their cash vouchers as they have until April 15 to do so.”

Meanwhile, Wong, who is also Minister of Local Government and Community Development, appealed to the people to be patient.

He added that the RM500 cash aid was given out in batches, saying that some would get it first while others later.

“If they are qualified, they will be given (the aid).”

Wong advised those who had yet to apply to do so promptly, following the extension to Feb10.

Wong said recipients could cash their vouchers at the authorised banks.

Meanwhile, the number of recipients for the BR1M according to constituencies, up till the third batch, is as follows: Bukit Assek (4,215), Dudong (5,909), Bawang Assan (6,233), Pelawan (4,202) and Nangka (3,394).

Print Friendly

We encourage commenting on our stories to give readers a chance to express their opinions; please refrain from vulgar language, insidious, seditious or slanderous remarks. While the comments here reflect the views of the readers, they are not necessarily that of Borneo Post Online. Borneo Post Online reserves the right not to publish or to remove comments that are offensive or volatile. Please read the Commenting Rules.