Borneo tattoo showcase receives overwhelming response
Posted on March 8, 2012, Thursday
MIRI: ‘Nicely done’ – Deborah Nangan, ‘Great art to explore’ – Noorashikin Mohd Sabri, ‘Organize it again’ – Stephen Wong – these are some of the comments received from visitors to the BorneoTattoo Showcase held at the state library yesterday.
The showcase on ‘Getting To Know Borneo Tribal Tattoo’ (Mengenali Tatu / Seni Cacah Suku Bangsa Borneo) organised by Pustaka Miri recently attracted over 600 visitors to the library.
The two-day event (Feb 24 and 25 started) with an exhibition.
The aim of the showcase was to share the knowledge on the dying art of traditional Borneo tattoo, in particular Iban tattoos, as part of ways to perpetuate the culture.
On the first day of the exhibition, Ismail Lumut, a Borneo tattoo art researcher and enthusiast, presented a talk on the subject.
He was joined by a renowned tattoo artist Robert Mayau from Kapit.
They explained the significant aspects of getting tattoos for the tribes in Sarawak as well as the meaning of the traditional tattoos.
The next day saw Robert showing his skills in doing a rare hand-tap tattoo.
The intricate and unique yet time-consuming technique attracted many visitors to the library.
Robert, who is an internationally acclaimed tattooist, was also on hand throughout the exhibition to answer questions from visitors.
Apart from the demonstration and talk, there were booths selling tattoo-related T-shirts, books and other merchandises.
There were a number of visitors who got themselves permanent or temporary (henna) tattoos during the showcase.
The event was made more memorable with a gathering by nine local cars and motorcycle clubs exhibiting more than 100 cars, motorcycles and scooters at the library’s front courtyard.
- Two cars catch fire in two separate incidents
- Kabul hospital guard opens fire, kills foreign doctor
- Kota Bahru bound Firefly flight returns to Penang due to faulty landing gear
- May 25 set as Bukit Gelugor by-election, several factors taken into account, says EC
- US judge dismisses Tarantino lawsuit against website
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement