One Malaysian still missing, 27 injured in Hat Yai blast
Posted on April 2, 2012, Monday
PHNOM PENH: A Malaysian is still missing in Hat Yai bomb blast yesterday while the Malaysian government yesterday advised Malaysians to avoid non-essential travel to southern Thailand.
Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman said the Thai authorities were carrying DNA test on one unidentified body recovered and the result would be known today.
“We still could not establish the situation of the missing Malaysian and the identity of the unidentified body found at the scene,” he told Malaysian journalists, here.
He confirmed that one Malaysian died and 27 Malaysians injured, including 10 who suffered 30 per cent to 50 per cent burns of their body area.
The 10 are still being treated at three hospitals in southern Thailand for respiratory difficulty and other related injuries.
The dead was identified as Low Thian Hock, 46, from Kulim.
The 10 seriously injured were identifi ed as Lew Kim Lai, 39, Lim Hock Bee, 37, Wong Sze Ee, 32, Fook Hock Chuan, 33, Chiaw Pui Pui, 32, Chiaw Pui Hoon, 34, Chiaw Pui See, 33, Choo Kok Boon, 46, Sagunthala a/p Krishnan, 34, and Mini Ng, 35.
The 17 others were given outpatient treatment.
Bombs planted on two bikes, a car and pick-up truck at hotel car park
Ten people were killed and more than 300 others injured in the bomb attack at Lee Garden Hotel in Hat Yai at 1pm Saturday.
He said the initial investigation by the Thai authorities revealed that bombs were planted on two motorcycles, one car and one pick-up truck parked at the hotel’s car park.
Initially, the authorities thought the blast was caused by leaked gas but concluded it was a bomb attack when they found chemical residue after inspecting the place.
Anifah said the next of kin of the dead and injured had been informed and the government would facilitate their travelling if they wished to meet their family members there.
He said all medical needs and expenses for the injured Malaysians would be taken care by the Thai authorities.
Anifah said it was not advisable to bring back home all those seriously injured at the moment as their condition did not warrant such mobility.
The minister said he would seek clarification from his Thai counterpart Dr Surapong Tovichakchaikul tonight whether it would be safe for Malaysians to travel to southern Thailand following the incident.
In fact, Anifah said, the government had issued similar travel advisory for southern Thailand from time to time.
Asean foreign ministers are here for the Asean Ministerial Meeting tomorrow and Asean Summit the following day. — Bernama