Health Dept confirms dengue outbreak in Lawas over
Posted on June 6, 2012, Wednesday
KUCHING: The State Health Department yesterday confirmed that the outbreak of dengue in Lawas is now over as there has been no more new cases recorded this week.
Its director Dr Zulkifli Jantan confirmed that 25 positive cases were registered in the last few weeks.
“I would say that the outbreak is now over since there is no more new case this week. But there were 25 positive cases over several weeks. I could not remember the date (of admissions) but cases were recorded before Gawai,” he told The Borneo Post.
Dr Zulkilfli explained that when there were more than one case reported in a week in a locality it would be considered as an outbreak.
He was responding to comments that the public was kept in the dark about the situation as there were rumours that more than 30 cases of dengue fever had been registered at the hospital in Lawas.
Meanwhile, Assistant Health Minister Dr Jerip Susil said yesterday he could not describe the situation in Lawas as an outbreak unless his epidemiologist says so.
He promised to find out more about the situation.