Chong Wei to start intensive training next week
Posted on June 21, 2012, Thursday
KUALA LUMPUR: Injured shuttler Datuk Lee Chong Wei is expected to resume intensive training next week after recovering from an ankle injury suffered during the Thomas Cup Final in Wuhan, China last month.
Chong Wei, 29, said he had been going through light training for the past three weeks at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara to ensure a speedy recovery process.
“I cannot say I have fully recovered from the injury but hope to return to the court and start intensive training soon and prepare for the London Olympics,” he told reporters when asked of his condition here yesterday.
The men’s singles world number one who reached the final at the 2008 Beijing Olympics but lost to Lin Dan of China, said he would join the rest of the players during the final phase of preparations and training at the Bath University, United Kingdom on July 12.
“We will be joined by sparring partners Chong Wei Feng, Kwong Beng Hong and Liew Daren together with two physiotherapists from the National Sports Institute,” he said.
Chong Wei said he would also seek advise from sports psychology expert from Sarawak, Frederick Tan, to beef up his emotional and mental strength before the London Olympics. — Bernama