‘Don’t take the law into your own hands’
Posted on June 22, 2012, Friday
KUCHING: Errant road users who are issued with summonses by the police or other relevant authorities should accept the compound and not take the law into their own hands.
Deputy district police chief Supt Pauzi Bujang said irrational or violent reaction towards being issued a summons could lead to more serious consequences.
“We have laws to be followed in this country. Do not take matters into your own hands over a mere traffic summons because you will risk going to jail for two years if convicted in court,” said Pauzi during a press conference held yesterday.
Earlier, he revealed that police had arrested and remanded the man who smashed two patrol cars belonging to the Road Transport Department (JPJ) during a roadblock on Tuesday.
“The suspect, a 36-year-old local, surrendered himself at the One-Stop-Centre at Simpang Tiga at 4 this morning (yesterday).
“We are now trying to locate and recover the weapon used in the attack, although the suspect claimed he had thrown it into the Samarahan River following the incident,” he said.
Pauzi added the suspect had been remanded for two days, and that the case had been classified as criminal intimidation under Section 506 of the Penal Code which carries a maximum of two years’ imprisonment or a fine or both if convicted.
In the Tuesday morning incident, JPJ personnel manning a roadblock at Jalan Song were confronted by a ‘kwangtao’ wielding motorist who was angered at being issued a summons for driving with an expired road tax.
The man subsequently smashed the front and rear windscreen of two JPJ patrol cars and punctured their tyres before speeding away from the scene.
- Our responsibility to stop drug menace, says DO
- English debate attracted only 7 out of 27 Sibu schools — Education assistant officer
- Top catch of 560gm – and RM600 – goes to Dayang Aury in Marine Police fishing contest
- SMK Tiong Hin wins choral speaking contest
- Expo to form part of Miri May Fest celebration
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement