‘Defer travel to Manila until flood situation improves’
Posted on August 9, 2012, Thursday
KUALA LUMPUR: The Foreign Ministry yesterday advised Malaysians intending to travel to Metro Manila or the surrounding provinces to consider temporarily deferring their travel until the flood situation in the area improves.
The Ministry also advised Malaysians already in the city to take safety precautions and avoid flood-prone areas in Metro Manila as well as to adhere to the updates and alerts from the Philippine authorities.
In a statement yesterday, the ministry said that the current flood in Manila had been reported to inundate some parts of Metro Manila while all schools and some government offices in Metro Manila also remained closed.
The Embassy of Malaysia in Manila had contacted all Malaysians registered with the Embassy, and reported that thus far there were no report or notification of Malaysians in distress.
The embassay was also closely monitoring the situation and in constant contact with the relevant Philippine authorities.
The statement said that in the event consular assistance was required, Malaysians could contact Wisma Putra and the Malaysian Embassy in Manila at the following addresses and contact numbers:
The Embassy of Malaysia in Manila, 29th – 30th Floor, The World Center Building, No. 330, Sen. Gil J. Puyat Avenue, 1200, Manila Tel : (632) 864 0761 To 68 Fax : (632) 8640727 Email : email@example.com
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, No. 1, Jalan Wisma Putra, Presint 2 62602 PUTRAJAYA Tel: 03-8887 4000
(office hours) : 03-8887 4570 (after working hours). — Bernama