Sarawak gets RM93m for flood mitigation projects
Posted on August 13, 2012, Monday
SIBU: Sarawak has acquired federal funds amounting to RM92.9 million to implement a number of flood mitigation projects this year.
Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Datuk Seri Douglas Uggah Embas said the bulk of the fund (RM52 million) would be for repairing and upgrading small drains in the state.
“We have identified that clogged drains are contributing to floods in many towns. They are either too small, damaged or clogged, thus preventing water flow,” he told reporters after checking on the progress of works on flood mitigation projects here today.
He said the new projects included Betong (RM8.9 million), Kampung Bintangor, Kuching (RM6.1 million), Kapit (RM4.03 million) and Song (RM4.07 million).
Uggah said the Sibu Flood Mitigation Programme Phase One costing RM138 million was now 96.8 per cent completed as of Aug 6, 2012.
He said the Second Phase costing RM50 million which includes building four pump stations would be implemented soon and should be ready in two years.
Uggah said under the Third Rolling Plan, a proposal for the Third Phase costing RM400 million had been submitted to the government for approval.
“If approved and implemented, floods will be a thing of the past for the whole of Sibu,” he said. — Bernama