Puplic urged to heed warning not to play with firecrackers
Posted on August 18, 2012, Saturday
KOTA BAHARU: Despite frequent reports in the mass media on injuries and permanent disabilities caused by fireworks, deafening explosions continue to resound during the festive season.
Only victims of such mishaps feel remorse and regret, while others seem to be oblivious and pay no heed to the warnings.
“I regret playing with firecrackers and I advise others not to as well because we will suffer its consequences for life,” said firecracker explosion victim Mohd Shahril Affendi, 20, whose story and photo was published by several local newspapers.
Mohd Shahril lost four fingers on his right hand after a modified ball firecracker exploded while he was lighting it with his friends at an open area in Tunjung, here recently.
He was among the 16 firecracker-related cases referred to the Raja Perempuan Zainab II Hospital (HRPZ II) here, since the start of Ramadan, a majority of which involved children and teenagers.
According to HRPZ II public relations officer, Zaid Ahmad, this year has seen an increase compared to the 13 cases for the same period last year.
Besides homemade firecrackers, ball firecrackers, which are easily obtained from neighbouring countries and are popular with players for its loud explosion, have injured many people.
Speaking to Bernama here on Wednesday, Kelantan Crime Investigations Department chief, ACP Lai Yong Heng said they had seized an assortment of firecrackers worth over RM300,000 and detained 64 people for selling and distributing the items, throughout the fasting month.
These offences can be charged under Section 8 of the Explosives Act 1957 which carries a fine of up to RM10,000 or seven year prison, or both, upon conviction.
Parents are advised to educate their children to stay away from firecrackers , he added. — Bernama