Three charged for bank manager’s murder

CHARGED: (From left) Tiong and How Ing are escorted from the court.

Large crowd gathers at court to see widow and two men indicted

DSP David Ajek

SIBU: The widow of slain bank manager Stephen Wong and two men were yesterday tentatively charged for their alleged involvement in the murder.

They were brought to the Sessions Court with three other suspects, who were later released on bond.

Ling Hang Tsyr, 31, her male friend Tiong King Guan, 26, and Ling How Ing, 24, entered the packed court room just after 11am.

How Ing was tentatively charged with murder under Section 302 of the Penal Code, while Tiong and Hang Tsyr were charged with abetting the murder under Section 109 of the Penal Code, read with Section 302 and Section 34 for the common intention of the crime.

The other three men, who were released on bond under Section 118 of the Criminal Procedure Code, will be the prosecution’s witnesses.

The murder charge carries a mandatory death sentence by hanging.

THE ACCUSED: Police escort Tiong (left) and How Ing out after they were charged in court.

HUGE TURNOUT: A large crowd waits to catch a glimpse of the suspects.

Tiong was represented by Counsel Orlando Chua, Hang Tsyr had three lawyers – Anthony Tai and Roger Chin from Kuching along with Sempurai Petrus Ngelai of Sibu, while How Ing was not represented.

The case will be mentioned on Sept 21. No pleas were taken from the three accused yesterday.

Sessions Court Judge Jackson Juga presided.

Wong’s brutal killing last June, said to have been a crime of passion, has rocked Sibu.

When the case proceeds to the High Court, all the unfolding details are expected to be followed very closely.

Yesterday, nearly 200 members of the public were present at the court house along with family members, relatives and friends of the three accused from as early as 8am.

Tiong’s family members were seen standing outside under a tree while Hang Tsyr and How Ing’s families were seen standing separately in the corridor.

Wong’s family members were present in the court room.

When Hang Tsyr entered the court room, she broke down in tears but there was no communication or exchange of glances between her and her in-laws.

Wong’s family members had to ask their father to return home as he was overcome by emotion.

Meanwhile, Sibu CID head DSP David Ajek said police had worked hard on the case and their job was almost done.

“The murder is considered solved. We leave it to the court now.”

He said the three accused would be remanded in jail while police await the chemist’s report.

On June 14, police found Wong’s body in a pool of blood in the master bedroom of his house in Ulu Sungai Merah Road at 1.30am.

The pathologist said the 31-year-old had slash wounds on his neck and was also stabbed in the chest and stomach.

He also sustained defensive wounds on both arms.

Only his widow and their three-year-old son were in the house when the murder occurred.

Hang Tsyr reportedly told police then that she woke up upon hearing her husband struggle with an intruder and that the intruder had fled when she turned on the light.————————————————————————————————————————————

EARLY NEWS, 22 Aug 2012

SIBU: Three suspects were charged in the Sessions Court here today for their involvement in the murder of bank manager Stephen Wong last June.

They are prime suspect Ling How Ing, 24; Tiong King Guan, 26; and the victim’s widow Ling Hang Tsyr, 31.

Hoe Ing was charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder, while Tiong and Hang Tsyr were charged under Section 109 of the Penal Code for abetting, read together with Section 302 of the same Code.

All three accused could face the death penalty.

Another three men suspected to be involved in the case were released on bond under Section 118 of the Criminal Procedure Code.

They are to appear in court again as witnesses.

ABETTING: A policewoman escorts Hang Tsyr to a police car.

Wong’s body was found in the master bedroom of his house in Ulu Sungai Merah at about 1.30am on June 14.

According to the pathologist, Wong was slashed on the neck and stabbed in the chest.

It was unclear if he was asleep during the attack.

He was found with defensive cuts on both arms.

It is learnt that his wife and their three-year-old son were apparently sleeping in the same room when the attack occurred.

What do you think of this story?
  • Great (0%)
  • Interesting (0%)
  • Nothing (0%)
  • Sad (0%)
  • Angry (0%)
Print Friendly


We encourage commenting on our stories to give readers a chance to express their opinions; please refrain from vulgar language, insidious, seditious or slanderous remarks. While the comments here reflect the views of the readers, they are not necessarily that of Borneo Post Online. Borneo Post Online reserves the right not to publish or to remove comments that are offensive or volatile. Please read the Commenting Rules.



Supplement Downloads

Member of