KTS donates RM10,000 towards purchase of kiln
Posted on September 14, 2012, Friday
KUCHING: KTS Group of Companies has contributed RM10,000 in aid of Persatuan Kraftangan Ida Beran Sungai Asap Belaga to purchase a kiln (ceramic furnace) for baking beads.
Its representative Dato Vincent Chapman handed over a cheque to the association’s chairperson Datin Seri Hau Ngo on Tuesday (Sept 11).
The simple ceremony was witnessed by the association’s advisor Angeline Umis Tujok and member Sedu Talek, and KTS’ executive Collin Goh.
Hau expressed her gratitude to KTS for its contribution, adding that the Group registered the most generous donor among the private corporations.
Sedu explained: “Previously, the beads were made by the locals and sent to Kuching for processing, thus making it very costly.
“With the availability of the kiln, we are now able to bake and process beads locally, which would allow expansion of this project, expected to be beneficial to the whole community in Sungai Asap.
“All the communities in Sungai Asap are welcome to join the association should they be keen in beads production.”
The association was established on Oct 1, 2010 with 100 members.
It’s purpose is to teach the locals, especially women in the village, to produce beads-related handicraft such as earrings and bracelets on a commercial scale to generate income.
It also wants to pass on the unique tradition to the younger generations.
According to Angeline, the association is still short of fund for purchasing other necessary equipment like stand, colouring, brush and clay.
Hau presented a ‘Parang Ilang’ in beaded-sheath to Vincent as a token of appreciation and symbol of friendship.
- Kabul hospital guard opens fire, kills foreign doctor
- Kota Bahru bound Firefly flight returns to Penang due to faulty landing gear
- May 25 set as Bukit Gelugor by-election, several factors taken into account, says EC
- US judge dismisses Tarantino lawsuit against website
- H1N1 Flu kills 45 in Thailand this year
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement