Riot: Malaysia’s total trade with IOR-ARC on the rise
Posted on November 13, 2012, Tuesday
KUCHING: Total trade between Malaysia and the Indian Ocean Rim Association of Regional Cooperation (IOR-ARC) member countries, home to around two billion people, has continued to expand particularly over the last 15 years, said Foreign Affairs Deputy Minister Datuk Richard Riot.
Riot, who represented Malaysia at the 12th IOR-ARC meeting held in Gurgaon, Delhi recently, said the total trade for 2011 increased by about 13 per cent to US$133.7 billion over the previous year, contributing to about 32 per cent of the country’s total external trade.
“The IOR-ARC meeting on Nov 2, which was held in an environment marked by warmth, cordiality and openness, saw Comoros being admitted as its 20th member state and the United States accepted as its sixth dialogue partner,” he said in a statement emailed to Bernama here yesterday.
The other five dialogue partners are China, Egypt, France, Japan and the United Kingdom.
He said the Council of Ministers Meeting (COM) was preceded by five other meetings of the Working Groups and Committee of Senior Officials (CSO) including the Indian Ocean Rim Academic Group (IORAG), Working Group on Trade and Investment (WGTI) and Business Forum (IORBF).
On the sidelines of the IOR-ARC Council of Ministers Meeting, Riot had a bilateral meeting with the Foreign Minister of Yemen, Dr Abu Bakr Al-Qirbi.
Malaysia is a founding member of IOR-ARC, an association set up in 1997 to promote economic co-operation and intra-regional trade among Indian Ocean Coastal and Island States.
At the end of the 12th Council of Ministers Meeting, the Gurgaon Communique was adopted.
The 13th meeting will be hosted by Australia. — Bernama
- Fears grow for hundreds missing in S Korea ferry capsize
- Mini-sub completes first full mission in hunt for Malaysian jet
- Honda’s new ASIMO robot, more human-like than ever
- Karpal Singh, personal assistant die in road accident in Kampar
- Former DAP chairman Karpal Singh died in accident – Kampar Police Chief
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement