5.5 quake off Indonesia, no tsunami alert
Posted on November 29, 2012, Thursday
JAKARTA: A 5.5-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of eastern Indonesia on Wednesday, the US Geological Survey said.
The Indonesian Meteorology, Geophysics and Climatology Agency (BMKG) had earlier reported the quake at a magnitude of 6.3 and a depth of 12 kilometres, but issued no tsunami alert.
USGS reported the quake struck at 0856GMT at a depth of 55 kilometres, 288 kilometres north of Saumlaki in the Tanimbar Islands.
“There was light shaking reported but we’ve received no reports of damage or casualties so far,” BMKG technical chief Suharjono told AFP.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific “Ring of Fire” where continental plates collide, causing frequent seismic and volcanic activity. — AFP
- Air France resumes flights to Tel Aviv
- Royals Presenting Kurnia to 11,353 Recipients at Istana Nurul Iman
- Monarch Extends Personal Gifts to Additional 4,651 Underprivileged Recipients
- Squash star Nicol in cruise control in Glasgow
- Mohd Zulhelmi lifts Malaysia’s first medal at Glasgow Commonwealth Games