‘Islamic banking not in conflict with Syariah requirements’
Posted on November 29, 2012, Thursday
KUALA LUMPUR: The issue of the country’s Islamic banking system being in conflict with Syariah (Islamic law) requirements does not arise as any decision made has been referred to the Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) Syariah Advisory Council.
Deputy Finance Minister Datuk Dr Awang Adek Hussin said this advisory council had high powers to ensure that the country’s Islamic banking system adhered to Syariah requirements, specifically over issues involving BNM’s financial system.
“Members of the advisory council include the Penang mufti, three members of the National Fatwa Council, a former chief justice, local ulama and one from the Indonesian Council of Ulama.
“Surely whatever decision made by the advisory council could not be in conflict with the views of the mufti and the National Fatwa Council.
“Hence, there should be no suspicion that Malaysia’s Islamic banking has contravened Syariah,” he said when winding up the debate on the Islamic Financial Services Bill 2012 in the Dewan Rakyat, here, yesterday.
Awang Adek said the explanation proved that there was no misunderstanding between the National Fatwa Council and BNM Syariah Advisory Council.
The Dewan Rakyat sitting then passed the Islamic Financial Services Bill 2012 and the amendments to the Bank Negara Malaysia Bill 2012.
It also passed the Industrial Design (Amendment) Bill 2012. — Bernama
- Lorry driver shot on way to work
- It’s a dog’s life
- Paul supposed to get back from work trip last week – Wife
- Bekas pengerusi DAP Karpal Singh maut dalam kemalangan berhampiran Gua Tempurung pada 12.40 pagi tadi - Ketua Polis Daerah Kampar
- Karpal Singh, personal assistant die in road accident in Kampar
- Growing jihadist threat in Tunisia border area
- Search Ended as Perpetrator of Fatal Hit-and-Run Surrendered to Police
- ‘No over-reliance on Petronas for contract handouts’
- WTK to benefit from diversification into oil palm plantation
- Possible hike in OPR later this year on March’s steady inflation rate
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement