Mattress factory completely destroyed in fire
Posted on December 6, 2012, Thursday
MIRI: A mattress factory in Kampung Bersatu, Mile 8.5, Lambir here was burnt to ashes when a fire razed the building at about 9.50pm on Tuesday night.
Fortunately, there were no injuries or fatalities.
Eyewitness Ismady Wahab, 30, who phoned the Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) at about 9.50pm, told reporters that the fire might be due to a short circuit.
“When I called the Bomba, the fire was still small, but then a strong wind blew up just now causing the fire to spread very fast to the other side of the building,” he told reporters at the scene.
According to Ismadi, there were no workers in the factory at the time as most of them had gone back to their quarters not far from the workplace.
“I’ve been staying in this area for three years now. Most of the workers are Indonesians and staying not far from my house,” he said.
One fire engine was rushed to the scene but could not do much since the whole building was in flames.
The strong wind also forced the firemen to concentrate their efforts in controlling the fire from spreading to the other houses around the factory.
The factory’s owner, who turned up minutes later, refused to be interviewed by reporters.
The firemen are investigating the cause of the fire.
- Two cars catch fire in two separate incidents
- Kabul hospital guard opens fire, kills foreign doctor
- Kota Bahru bound Firefly flight returns to Penang due to faulty landing gear
- May 25 set as Bukit Gelugor by-election, several factors taken into account, says EC
- US judge dismisses Tarantino lawsuit against website
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement