ITU members must be more vocal – Rais
Posted on December 12, 2012, Wednesday
DUBAI: The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) must be more vocal on issues of integrity, network security and spam.
Information, Communications and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim said that as long as ITU dared not forward views which could protect the basic rights of members, its role would be seen as very limited.
He said the issue of spam, for example, if not tackled at international conferences such as the World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT) 2012, would bring losses to many parties.
“Our lines and networks must be free from any disturbances which can disrupt services,” he told Malaysian reporters when met after being interviewed by ITU media, here, yesterday.
According to Rais, when a person subscribed with a telecommunications company to surf the Internet, he had the right to be free from problems like spam.
As an agency of the United Nations, ITU provides the stage for forums between interested parties to achieve agreements on the direction of the information communication technology (ICT) industry.
The WCIT 2012, organised by ITU, which has a membership of 200 countries and industry players, ends on Friday. It holds discussions, debates and a review of the International Telecommunication Regulations. — Bernama
Meanwhile, on his interview with the ITU media yesterday, Rais said he briefed the international body on the progress by Malaysia in information technology.
He said he also revealed how Malaysia provided wide Internet access, and endeavoured to ensure good service which society could afford. — Bernama
- Kabul hospital guard opens fire, kills foreign doctor
- Kota Bahru bound Firefly flight returns to Penang due to faulty landing gear
- May 25 set as Bukit Gelugor by-election, several factors taken into account, says EC
- US judge dismisses Tarantino lawsuit against website
- H1N1 Flu kills 45 in Thailand this year
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement