No outbreak of HFMD so far — Dr Zulkifli
Posted on January 7, 2013, Monday
SIBU: The state Health Department confirmed that there was no outbreak of Hand Foot Mouth Disease (HFMD) thus far after the new school term reopened last week.
According to its director Datu Dr Zulkifli Jantan, there was also no spike in the number of cases.
He, however, said there was no room for complacecy, advising members of the public to remain vigilant to keep the disease at bay.
“Thus far, there is no outbreak or spike in the number of HFMD cases in the state. All is quiet, but parents, guardians and caretakers should continue to be vigilant, ensuring a high level of cleanliness and hygiene.
“They should practise self-isolation for kids who are sick,” Dr Zulkifli told The Borneo Post.
He was asked if there had been any hike in the number of cases of HFMD in Sarawak following the reopening of the new school term recently.
In an earlier interview, he stressed that it was mandatory for nurseries and schools to report to the department if they suspected a child was down with HFMD.
The department would then carry out investigation at the affected nursery or school.
“If the child is confirmed to be down with HFMD, he or she will be asked to stay away from the facility for a week and parents need to practise self-isolation at home. This includes non-sharing of eating utensils, handkerchiefs, and so on.
“Disinfection will be carried out at the premises,” he explained then.
He added that both private clinics and hospitals were required to notify the department of any HFMD cases.
“Failing to do so, they can be compounded under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act and Regulation,” he stressed.
- Leak : High quality video of iPhone 6 appearance on Youtube
- Robin Hood monkey showers Indian town with cash
- Android smartwatches about to add smarter syncing, integration features: report
- Crown Prince awarded with advanced combat skills badge, among others
- Three premises temporarily close for failing hygiene standard