Canada Post unveils Year of the Water Snake stamps
Posted on January 10, 2013, Thursday
TORONTO: Canada Post ushered in the Chinese Lunar New Year with their highly anticipated Year of the Water Snake stamps on Tuesday in the Canadian city of Toronto, Xinhua news agency reported.
The national carrier unveiled the designs for the duo stamp issue at a ceremony, giving collectors both a chance to stock up and meet the stamps designers Joe Gault and Avi Dunkelman.
The new stamps are the fifth pair in Canada Post’s second Chinese Lunar New Year series.
Canada Post’s general manager of consumer product management Alice Lafferty said the longstanding tradition is their way of ringing in the new year and celebrating the diverse cultures within the community.
“Lunar New Year is one of our most popular stamp issues and it’s very important for Canadians.
At Canada Post, we really want to celebrate all of those events that Canadians are celebrating,” she said.
The latest issue combined complex techniques and luxurious designs to portray both the essence of the snake and beliefs of the Chinese people.
The domestic issue shows a red snake gliding on water while the international issue portrays a yellow and jade green snake coiled into a fi gure eight, an auspicious number in the Chinese culture.
With 5.5 million domestic rate stamps and 2.25 million international rate stamps issued, Lafferty said nearly 8 million stamps are available in the market for collectors to snatch up. — Bernama
- Lorry driver shot on way to work
- It’s a dog’s life
- Paul supposed to get back from work trip last week – Wife
- Bekas pengerusi DAP Karpal Singh maut dalam kemalangan berhampiran Gua Tempurung pada 12.40 pagi tadi - Ketua Polis Daerah Kampar
- Karpal Singh, personal assistant die in road accident in Kampar
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement