KOTA KINABALU: The beautiful Dalit Beach near Rasa Ria Resort in Tuaran, has always been an all-time favourite among picnickers. But it is also infamous for so many tragedies, claiming lives over the years.
Realising this, the Tuaran local authorities took the initiative to erect a warning signboard years back, hoping to send the message across on the danger of swimming at the beach, especially during bad weather.
But their effort was not appreciated as the signboard had since been removed by irresponsible people.
Such irresponsible act has caused many lives, including the recent incident where two men who are still reported missing and feared drowned while swimming at the Dalit Beach on Sunday.
Tuaran police chief DSP Zaharudin Rasip said there were warning signboards erected along Dalit Beach to warn and inform the public, but have since been removed or stolen by irresponsible individuals.
“Such irresponsible acts have put many people’s lives in danger who are there to have a good time.
“I noticed that the signboards were no longer there when I went to the beach to lead the search operation for the two missing men.
“I have personally instructed the Tuaran authority to install another warning signboard, this time to forbid swimming in the area to prevent unwanted incident from happening again,” he told The Borneo Post when contacted yesterday.
Zaharudin was asked to comment on the ‘missing’ signboards along Dalit Beach after two relatives, Aljibra Zulkipli and his uncle, Datu Al Muraz Datu Enyong, both aged 21, had been reported missing since January 6 after they were swept away by strong currents while swimming with another relative at Dalit Beach around 4.45pm.
The relative, who was also pulled by the currents, however managed to swim to safety.
It was said that Aljibra, Al Muraz and the relative had gone back to the water, between their upper knee and hips, to wash up as the group of seven friends were packing to return to their home in Telipok.
The trio then faced difficulties while in the water and Al Muraz and Aljibra disappeared while the third managed to swim back to shore.
Search operations for the missing men are being carried out since Sunday, involving the police, the Fire and Rescue Scuba Unit, Marine Police, Air Force Unit, the Malaysia Maritime Enforcement Agency, Sabah Civil Defence Department (JPAM), Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort management, the victims’ family members and villagers.
As of yesterday, there was still no sign of both men and the search operation will resume today at 6am.