SMC keeping tabs on used cooking oil
by Peter Boon, firstname.lastname@example.org. Posted on January 29, 2013, Tuesday
SIBU: Sibu Municipal Council has implemented a control mechanism to prevent abuse of used cooking oil.
Its deputy chairman Daniel Ngieng yesterday stressed that eating-places, particularly restaurants, which used high volume of cooking oil would need to submit regular reports on proper disposal of used cooking oil.
“This is to ensure that used cooking oil is not siphoned off to other sources for reuse or mix it with fresh one to fry food,” he told The Borneo Post.
The initiative taken by SMC, he added, was to safeguard public health.
“The new mechanism would keep disposal of used cooking oil in check and prevent any abuse.”
Senior medical practitioner Dr Hu Chang Hock cautioned that cooking with used cooking oil might increase one’s chance of contracting diseases such as stroke, heart and liver ailment.
“Such oil may contain cancer causing agents. Avoid using used cooking oil, especially oil that has been exposed to very high temperature. This is to avoid compromising one’s health.”
Ngieng, meanwhile, has spelt out clearly that this was a new licensing condition for eating-places which required the disposal of used cooking oil through a licensed recycling company and submission of report.
Asked about measures to be taken if operators failed to submit the report, he said: “They would be subject to scrutiny as we want to know how they have disposed off their used cooking oil.”
Conveniently disposing of the substance into drains was strictly out of bounds as it could cause clogging and emit foul smell, he added.
Ngieng said the appointed recycling company would regularly collect used cooking oil from eating-places.
The firm, he added, had a schedule of frequent collection from restaurants which generated higher volume of used cooking oil.
He said containers would be placed at restaurants to facilitate collection.
Meanwhile, SMC Market and Petty Traders Standing Committee chairman Chieng Buong Toon said hawkers at the night market had been instructed to dispose off their used cooking oil through the licensed company.
“They are not supposed to dispose of the oil into the drain. All of them are aware of such requirement. The same applies to those trading at the ‘tamu’ market in Sungei Merah.”
There are 175 stalls in the night market while Sungei Merah ‘tamu’ market has 43.
On another matter, Chieng said that they had solved the perennial problem of excessive smoke produced by the barbeque stalls at the night market.
“We have asked them to prepare the food at home and only to heat them up at the night market. They are cooperating well.
“Members of the public are very happy over the new move,” enthused Chieng, adding that there were 11 barbeque stalls at the night market.
- Student, two soldiers killed in road accident
- Bumiputeras cannot blame others if they fail to meet target — Dr mahathir
- JKR: It’s an entirely different scope of work
- Haj by proxy for marine cop killed in ambush, 10 crew members of MH17
- Ismail assures imported cattle for Aidiladha safe and disease-free