Hishammuddin: Maximum 10-minute clearance at KLIA
Posted on February 1, 2013, Friday
PUTRAJAYA: Immigration clearance for a maximum of 10 minutes for flight passengers will be introduced at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) in Sepang from today
Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said the Immigration Department had been ordered to fix the maximum waiting time at 10 minutes for immigration clearance, including during peak hours for the queues at the entry registration counters.
“This initiative will be implemented from Feb 1, 2013 to ease congestion and lessen the waiting time for air passengers, hence giving a positive image of the country,” he said at a press conference after opening the Immigration Day celebration at the Putrajaya International Convention Centre, yesterday.
Hishammuddin said the move was made on the advice of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak so as to improve the quality of service and portray a good image of Malaysia among the international community.
“Sometimes people had to queue for one hour when there was a backlog of arrivals especially during peak hours, although not frequent. So, PM said the immigration clearance must be made within 10 minutes for all passengers,” he said.
Hishammuddin said the Immigration Department would also increase the number of counters to ensure the new initiative would run smoothly, besides increasing the number of counter staff soon.
He said the initiative was already implemented at the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal.
On the death of security guard C Sugumaran who was alleged to have been beaten up by police, Hishammuddin said the policemen involved would be brought to court if there were evidence to show that they had committed the offence.
“There must be justice but let’s not come to conclusion without knowing the truth from the investigation carried out.
“I understand that 160 witnesses have been called with 95 per cent of them being members of the public … hence the claims made through the social media are baseless,” he said.
Hishammuddin said he had also informed the latest development on the case to MIC president Datuk Seri G Palanivel and his deputy Datuk Seri Dr S Subramaniam on Wednesday. — Bernama
- Lorry driver shot on way to work
- It’s a dog’s life
- Paul supposed to get back from work trip last week – Wife
- Bekas pengerusi DAP Karpal Singh maut dalam kemalangan berhampiran Gua Tempurung pada 12.40 pagi tadi - Ketua Polis Daerah Kampar
- Karpal Singh, personal assistant die in road accident in Kampar
- Growing jihadist threat in Tunisia border area
- Search Ended as Perpetrator of Fatal Hit-and-Run Surrendered to Police
- ‘No over-reliance on Petronas for contract handouts’
- WTK to benefit from diversification into oil palm plantation
- Possible hike in OPR later this year on March’s steady inflation rate
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement