Site Last Updated 4:20 am, Saturday

Hishammuddin: Maximum 10-minute clearance at KLIA

Posted on February 1, 2013, Friday

PUTRAJAYA: Immigration clearance for a maximum of 10 minutes for flight passengers will be introduced at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) in Sepang from today

Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said the Immigration Department had been ordered to fix the maximum waiting time at 10 minutes for immigration clearance, including during peak hours for the queues at the entry registration counters.

“This initiative will be implemented from Feb 1, 2013 to ease congestion and lessen the waiting time for air passengers, hence giving a positive image of the country,” he said at a press conference after opening the Immigration Day celebration at the Putrajaya International Convention Centre, yesterday.

Hishammuddin said the move was made on the advice of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak so as to improve the quality of service and portray a good image of Malaysia among the international community.

“Sometimes people had to queue for one hour when there was a backlog of arrivals especially during peak hours, although not frequent. So, PM said the immigration clearance must be made within 10 minutes for all passengers,” he said.

Hishammuddin said the Immigration Department would also increase the number of counters to ensure the new initiative would run smoothly, besides increasing the number of counter staff soon.

He said the initiative was already implemented at the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal.

On the death of security guard C Sugumaran who was alleged to have been beaten up by police, Hishammuddin said the policemen involved would be brought to court if there were evidence to show that they had committed the offence.

“There must be justice but let’s not come to conclusion without knowing the truth from the investigation carried out.

“I understand that 160 witnesses have been called with 95 per cent of them being members of the public … hence the claims made through the social media are baseless,” he said.

Hishammuddin said he had also informed the latest development on the case to MIC president Datuk Seri G Palanivel and his deputy Datuk Seri Dr S Subramaniam on Wednesday. — Bernama

Print Friendly

We encourage commenting on our stories to give readers a chance to express their opinions; please refrain from vulgar language, insidious, seditious or slanderous remarks. While the comments here reflect the views of the readers, they are not necessarily that of Borneo Post Online. Borneo Post Online reserves the right not to publish or to remove comments that are offensive or volatile. Please read the Commenting Rules.

Comments are closed.