Mystery meat found in London curries
Posted on March 30, 2013, Saturday
LONDON: Europe’s horsemeat scandal took a new turn when mysterious meat was found in some Indian takeaway dishes which could even be dog or cat, Press Trust of India (PTI) reported.
A BBC documentary titled ‘Horsemeat Banquet’ revealed that even scientists were baffled after tests on an Indian lamb curry showed no trace of lamb, chicken, pork, mutton, beef or horsemeat.
It was, however, ruled out as being human flesh.
Experts examined a range of takeaway meals in London as part of the documentary aired here on Thursday.
When presenter Rick Edwards suggested that the unknown meat found in Indian dishes could be dog or cat, nutritionist Surinder Phull said that any animal with flesh similar to lamb could have been used.
“At this moment, the lab is unable to identify exactly which animal this meat came from,” a spokesperson for the show said.
Other tests revealed that so-called beef in some popular Chinese dishes was actually made entirely from chicken blood and a little chicken.
Indian and Chinese meals are the most popular takeaway dishes in Britain and the latest discovery led to renewed calls for rigorous tests on various meat being served across the country.
Hindu groups based in the UK have called on the government to enforce stricter disclosure norms after it emerged earlier this month that more than a third of curry restaurants in Scotland were serving a much cheaper beef in place of lamb. — Bernama
- English debate attracted only 7 out of 27 Sibu schools — Education assistant officer
- Top catch of 560gm – and RM600 – goes to Dayang Aury in Marine Police fishing contest
- SMK Tiong Hin wins choral speaking contest
- Expo to form part of Miri May Fest celebration
- SMK Marudi best with 95.5 pct overall pass
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement