Pesta Benak from Oct 18-20
Posted on April 11, 2013, Thursday
SRI AMAN: The annual Pesta Benak (Tidal Bore Festival) will make a return along the mighty Batang Lupar with two new activities from Oct 18 to 20.
This year, the festival will include a bodybuilding competition (Mr Benak) and a hot air balloon ride.
“The new activities at Pesta Benak will upgrade the prestige of the event and attract more foreign tourists,” said Assistant Minister of Rural Development Datuk Francis Harden Hollis during the Military Community Volunteering Day recently.
The Simanggang assemblyman also said the festival would boost the economy of Sri Aman through its eateries, accommodation and public transport.
Harden, who received the promotional flier of the festival from Sri Aman Resident Johnathan Lugoh, also said more people were expected to attend the event.
Last year, the event managed to attract 70,000 visitors.
Meanwhile, Harden handed over a RM7,000 cheque to Sri Aman district police chief DSP Mat Jusoh Muhammad for the Tabung Wira Lahad Datu.
Also present was Camp Pakit 13 RAMD commanding officer Lt Col Zamsari Abu Hassan.
- Three killed, 11 injured in coal mine explosion in Sarawak
- Ahmad: Managed float system to stay with oil prices at below US$80 a barrel
- Muhyiddin wants classical literature works spread using multimedia, digital technology
- European space plane set for February launch: firm
- Sultanate Ranks 30th on HDI