Strong earthquake jolts Pakistan, moderate one hits Indonesia
Posted on April 16, 2013, Tuesday
UPDATE: At least 7 killed, several injured.
UPDATE: Over 1,000 houses destroyed.
KUALA LUMPUR: A strong earthquake has occurred with magnitude 7.4 on Richter scale near southwestern Pakistan at 6.44pm today.
According to the Malaysian Meteorological Department, the epicentre was 209km southeast of Zahedan, Iran and 4644km northwest of Langkawi, Kedah.
The department said a moderate earthquake with magnitude 5.3 on Richter Scale also struck in the Sunda Strait, Indonesia at 7.26pm today.
The epicentre was 149km southwest of Bandar Lampung, Indonesia and 906km southwest of Johor Baharu, Johor, the department said in a statement here today.
The two quakes, however, have no tsunami threat to Malaysia, it said.
The department will also continue to monitor the situation closely. – Bernama
- Our responsibility to stop drug menace, says DO
- English debate attracted only 7 out of 27 Sibu schools — Education assistant officer
- Top catch of 560gm – and RM600 – goes to Dayang Aury in Marine Police fishing contest
- SMK Tiong Hin wins choral speaking contest
- Expo to form part of Miri May Fest celebration
Weekly News Highlights
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 22.03.2014 (Full)
- BPIEF 2014 Hourly Lucky Draw on 23.03.2014 (Full)
- Perfect Wedding Supplement 2013
- Malaysia Day Supplement 2013
- New Year Supplement 2014
- Real Estate And Housing Supplement 2013
- STIDC Supplement 2013
- Legacy Of Leadership
- Ushering In A New Era
- BPIEF 2014 Supplement