Weak earthquake hits Borneo
Posted on June 6, 2013, Thursday
KUALA LUMPUR: A weak earthquake measuring 4.9 on the Richter scale hit Sabah and other parts of Borneo at 3.23am today, according to the Malaysian Meteorological Department.
The epicentre of the quake was located at 31km north-west of Tarakan, Indonesia and 118km south-west of Tawau, Sabah, and the tremor was felt in Tawau, Sabah, the department said in a statement.
In TAWAU, the Malaysian Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM) there received an emergency call on the earthquake measuring 4.9 on the Richter scale which hit Borneo.
According to a spokesman of the Tawau JBPM, the station received several calls from members of the public at about 3.30am regarding the incident.
“We received many calls from members of the public but so far, there had been no incidents that resulted in destruction of properties,” he said here. – Bernama
- Impose whipping on those who make sensitive and insulting statements: MP
- RM975.37 million allocated to replace old, leaking water pipes nationwide: Ongkili
- Prosecution to rebut defence arguments tomorrow: Muhammad Shafee
- St Vincent: Ship denied entry following report of crew exhibiting Ebola symptoms
- Review punishment for timber theft: MACC