Man claims trial in rape of girl in jungle
Posted on October 31, 2013, Thursday
KUCHING: An odd job worker charged with statutory rape yesterday claimed trial in a Sessions Court here.
The 51-year-old faces a charge under Section 376 of the Penal Code for allegedly raping a girl in a jungle beside a village at Jalan Puncak Borneo around 8am on Sept 29 two years ago. She was then 15 years old.
The section provides for a maximum penalty of 20 years in jail and whipping upon conviction.
Judge Dayang Ellyn Narisa Abang Ahmad set the case to be heard again on Feb 13 and 14 while pre-trial case management is on Jan 28. Before releasing him on RM8,000 bail with two sureties, the judge advised him to engage a defence counsel and present himself at the nearest police station.
The accused from Taman Boulder Built in Jalan Stephen Yong was arrested shortly after the girl’s family lodged a police report against him.
He had allegedly picked up the girl from her school and driven to a jungle at Borneo Height Road where the alleged rape took place.
The girl was believed to have been threatened by the accused not to reveal the incident.
- Malaysia informs Netherlands desire to be on all committees on MH17 tragedy
- Ukrainian govt assures MH17 probe to continue despite resignation of PM – Envoy
- Date of Aidilfitri for whole country streamlined 31 years ago
- Malaysia mahu anggotai semua jawatankuasa siasat MH17 di Belanda – Liow
- ‘Bagai telur di hujung tanduk’ – Penyiasat khas MH17