Site Last Updated 12:53 pm, Thursday

Typhoon brings unexpected medical relief

Posted on January 6, 2014, Monday

This file photo (above) shows a bicycle transport driver speeding past the entrance and (photo right) patients inside one of the ward-tents of the US$1.6 million Red Cross tent hospital in Basey town, Western Samar province, central Philippines. — AFP photo

BASEY, Philippines: A devastating typhoon that killed thousands of people in the Philippines has unexpectedly given young traffic accident victim Mario Renos hope that he could one day walk again.

Hit by a motorcycle while walking to school months before Super Typhoon Haiyan struck the central islands, the 13-year-old’s shrivelled legs are taking their first steps to recovery at a Red Cross tent hospital put up in Basey town.

“I want to go back to school,” said Renos, gritting his teeth as he held on to metal railings with both hands while trying to negotiate an improvised exercise stall made of lumber from typhoon-felled coconuts.

“There is no reason he can’t walk again,” said Norwegian nurse Janecke Dyvi as she coaxed the boy across.

Staffed by doctors and nurses from 10 European nations and offering its services for free, the US$1.6 million hospital has uncovered a huge unmet need on Samar island, one of the country’s poorest regions.

Survivors of the ferocious winds and giant waves that flattened Basey’s coastal neighbourhoods on November 8 are now flocking by the thousands to the medical facility that locals have affectionately named the ‘Norwegian Hospital’.

And it is not just those injured directly by the typhoon who are feeling the benefits of such aid.

Pitched beneath the damaged municipal gym, the hospital’s six air-conditioned tents have brought relief for a multitude of injuries including centipede bites, harelips, traffic accidents, strokes and burns, and other ailments and conditions unrelated to the typhoon.

It also successfully delivered the town’s first ever baby via caesarean section, said its Norwegian administrator Kjell Engkrog.

Haiyan, one of the country’s deadliest natural disasters which left nearly 8,000 people dead or missing and 4.4 million others homeless, also wrecked Basey’s hilltop district hospital.

The temporary replacement is the same type as those put up by the Red Cross in conflict areas around the world, and is being deployed in the Philippines for the first time, Engkrog told AFP.

It is part of the aid agency’s contribution to an international humanitarian effort that is evolving from meeting the survivors’ immediate needs, such as food and shelter, to addressing their longer-term issues.

United Nations agencies and international aid organisations are also involved in the effort across the disaster zone, which covers an area the size of Portugal.

Until Haiyan hit, the boy struck by a motorcycle in March last year had no access to a physiotherapist and his legs had atrophied because he was bedridden at home, forcing him to stop attending his fifth-grade classes, nurse Dyvi told AFP.

“Maybe they don’t have the money to pay for the treatment,” she said.

Assistant Philippine Health Secretary Eric Tayag told AFP the government acknowledges ‘problems concerning (health services) access in that area’.

The district hospital is to be rebuilt this year, he said, but the authorities do not yet know when it will reopen.

“While the rebuilding is taking place, it is important that temporary facilities are available so that basic health services are delivered,” Tayag said.

Nearly 4,000 patients have been treated in the Red Cross hospital since late November, said Atishay Abbhi, spokesman for the Red Cross contingent at the disaster zone.

He said the aid agency has also built four water treatment plants across Samar, a region largely populated by coconut farmers and fishermen.

Starting this month, the Red Cross will provide equipment like boats and hooks to fishermen and seeds for farmers as well as fund cash-for-work schemes for displaced labourers. Cash grants will also be set up to help small businesses get back on their feet.

About 60 local medical personnel are now being trained on the job to take over when the Europeans are gone, Engkrog said, adding all the hospital equipment will also be handed over to Filipino authorities. — AFP

Print Friendly

We encourage commenting on our stories to give readers a chance to express their opinions; please refrain from vulgar language, insidious, seditious or slanderous remarks. While the comments here reflect the views of the readers, they are not necessarily that of Borneo Post Online. Borneo Post Online reserves the right not to publish or to remove comments that are offensive or volatile. Please read the Commenting Rules.

Comments are closed.