Resort operators told to ensure workers are registered
Posted on April 6, 2014, Sunday
KOTA KINABALU: The Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment ministry wants resort operators to scrutinise and ensure that their workers were registered and possessed valid identification documents.
Its minister Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun said a directive to the effect was issued on Friday.
According to him, the ministry had received reports of resort operators employing workers without valid documents.
“Matters such as this should not arise as it was discussed at the meeting with island resort operators early last year, that they should know the background of their workers and in the case of foreign workers, necessity of a valid work pass,” he told reporters after attending an Education department function here Friday night.
He said the state tourism and culture office being the tourism licensing agency must take action against resort operators who failed to comply with regulations.
On the kidnap incident involving a female Chinese national and a Filipina at Singamata Adventures and Reef Resort in Semporna on Wednesday, Masidi said the focus now was on finding and rescuing the victims.
He also stressed that it was not the right time to discuss the consequence of the case on the tourism industry.
“There is an impact but I hope it is just temporary and we must give enough time to the security forces to locate and rescue the victims,” he said.
He said the question of whether the resort should cease its operations was immaterial while investigations were still being carried out. — Bernama