KUALA LUMPUR: The Sultan of Kelantan, Sultan Muhammad V today launched the Royal Disaster Fund to help people in the state who were affected by the floods in Kelantan last year.
The fund was launched in conjunction with the ‘Walk with Me 2015’ dinner event organised by the Pertubuhan Kerabat D’raja Kelantan Al-Muhammadi here tonight.
Also present was the Tengku Mahkota of Kelantan, Tengku Muhammad Fa-iz Petra Ibni Sultan Ismail Petra.
In his speech, chairman of the event, Tengku Laksamana Kelantan Tengku Abdul Halim Ibni Sultan Ibrahim said the dinner was a charity event to encourage the participation of the public and private sectors who want to help.
“Kelantan faces floods almost every year, last year was the worst and resulted in large-scale destruction, so a lot of funds are needed for the recovery process.
“In addition, Kelantan will experience the monsoon season in November, much preparations must be done to prepare to face the damage and destruction,” he said.
The fund which will be open the whole year will enable the public to donate through a bank account opened under the name Pertubuhan Kerabat D’Raja Kelantan (Bank Islam), with the account number 03036010053595.
According to Tengku Abdul Halim, up till tonight, the initial cash donations totalling RM1.072 million had been collected from 13 main contributors and would be channelled to recipients in the form of financial aid, food, clothing and for the cost of repairing their homes.
Besides the dinner event, the Pertubuhan Kerabat D’Raja Kelantan Al-Muhammadi will also organise a royal ‘Walk with Me’ walkathon for three days beginning May 7 in Kota Bharu, Kelantan, to foster closer ties between the Kelantan Royal Family and the people.
Tengku Abdul Halim also said as part of the programme, the public will get the opportunity to walk with the Sultan of Kelantan for six kilometres from the Sultan Muhammad 1V Stadium towards the Sultan Yahya Petra Bridge, before returning to the stadium.– BERNAMA