KUALA LUMPUR: Sarawak Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Adenan Satem, who died yesterday, is remembered for some famous quotes.
These quotes certainly ring a bell in the hearts and minds of many.
Following is a list of some of his wise sayings, delivered then in what has come to be known as ‘The Adenan Way’:
• I will do the best I can. I only ask for five years and a strong mandate so that KL will listen to Adenan as he speaks for the Sarawak people behind him.
• Ini Sarawak punya olang, bisi Melayu, bisi orang Cina, bisi orang Dayak, bisi orang Bidayuh, duduk sama, minum sama, makan sama, carik amoi pon sama.
(These Sarawakians, whether they are Malays, Chinese, Dayak, Bidayuh, they live together, drink together, eat together, find partners together.)
• Let’s move with more confidence in ourselves in facing the challenges of the future, Yes, we as Sarawakians, we can do whatever we are tasked to do.
• We’ve tried our best to bring development to rural areas, but it is not enough. We will do more.
• Don’t mess with me.
• Belum berjaya bukannya tidak berjaya atau gagal. (Yet to succeed does not mean unsuccessful or failure.)
• Just give me another five years. When the five years are over, I will be 76. I do not want to stay on.
• To continue the agenda of people-centric development, it means fighting for the best interests of the state.
• Sarawak tidak boleh menjadi sebuah kerajaan tanpa adanya Melayu, Iban, Cina, Bidayuh atau Orang Ulu. (Sarawak cannot be a government without the Malays, Ibans, Chinese, Bidayuhs or Orang Ulus.)
• We must sink or swim together. When I’m in trouble, you help me, when you are in trouble, we help you. This is what the federation is all about. — Bernama