KUALA LUMPUR: Deputy Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar said police have obtained information on the mastermind believed to be responsible for the attack on the Metro Tabernacle Church in Desa Melawati, here on Friday.“We have leads on the appearance…physical features of the people who may be involved. But we cannot expose this information because we need time to study the information,” he told reporters at his office, here yesterday.
He said police had to carry out further investigation on the attack before making any arrest to ensure that the people arrested were actually the ones who carried out the attack.
Ismail said all cases on the burning of the churches were now investigated under Section 436 of the Penal Code, that is, mischief by fire or explosive substance with intent to destroy any building.
“I am issuing a warning not to play with fire. Those responsible will be punished,” he said.
On the student of a tertiary institution who had written in a ‘Facebook’ that he had purportedly burnt a church, Ismail said an investigation would certainly be carried out although he had been released on police bail.
“We notice that the student is purposely taking the opportunity arising from the issue that had cropped up. This is an irresponsible act and such matters are not for fun,” he said.
He said the case of the 19-year-old male student would be handed over to the Attorney-General’s Chamber to determine if there was a need to take follow-up action.
The student was detained at his house in Desa Mentari, Petaling Jaya, Tuesday night and was released several hours later after investigations revealed that he was not involved in the incident, and he admitted that his posting on the social website was purely ‘for fun’.
Ismail reminded members of the public against using the Internet to spread their feelings of dissatisfaction. — Bernama