BUTTERWORTH: There is no proof that the Ipoh-Padang Besar Electric Double Tracking Project (EDTP) causes the recent floods in Kedah, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Tan Sri Nor Mohamed Yakcop said.
He said any decision to issue a stop work order on the project should be based on a technical study of the project .
“If it is found that the project causes the floods, then measures should be taken, but there is no proof.
“So, it is inappropriate to stop work on the project because the action has impact on the economy,” he told reporters after opening the Auto City Prai RHB Islamic Bank branch office here yesterday.
Nor Mohamed was responding to the DAP-led Penang government’s decision in ordering MMC-Gamuda Joint Venture Sdn Bhd (MMC-Gamuda JV) to stop all work on the double tracking project in the state to prevent floods.
On Friday, Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said the decision was made at the state executive council meeting held Friday following statements by Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Chor Chee Heung and Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak that construction of the double tracking project had worsened the floods in Kedah.
This was not the first time that a stop work order on the project was issued by the Penang government.
End of last year, MMC-Gamuda JV was ordered to temporary halt work on the project because it claimed that the company did not submit the design of the project to the state government.
MMC-Gamuda JV is the main contractor of the 329km double tracking project costing about RM12.5 billion.
The project is scheduled for completion in 2013.
The company had denied that the project caused the floods in Kedah. — Bernama