Sunday, January 19

Empire Gallery explosion caused by leaking gas pipe at restaurant

0

PETALING JAYA: Initial investigations by the Fire and Rescue Department indicate the explosion at the Empire Gallery, Subang here was due to a leaking gas pipe at a restaurant on the Lower Ground floor of the shopping complex, said Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Chor Chee Heung.

“The investigations also showed all fire safety aspects at the complex were good,” he told the media after visiting the scene of the explosion yesterday.

Chor said the leak might have lasted for some time and a spark would have ignited the gas.

“Although the initial report is in, this is not the time to be pointing fingers,” he said.

Chor added that centralised gas distribution in all buildings in Malaysia came under the supervision of the Energy Commission and that the commision had confirmed that the installation of such systems was done by specialists.

“Centralised gas distribution in buildings is allowed and is practised throughout the world. However, the systems can only be installed by those who have the expertise,” he said, adding that under the laws of Malaysia audits on these systems must be done every two years. — Bernama