PM to announce cabinet decision on RCI in Sabah

1

PENAMPANG: The Federal Cabinet has made a decision on the proposed setting up of a royal commission of inquiry (RCI) on illegal immigrants in Sabah, said Plantation Industries and Commodities Minister Tan Sri Bernard Dompok.

In this respect, he said the Cabinet had given the mandate to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, architect of the ubiquitous 1Malaysia programme, to announce the decision.

“This is something the people of Sabah want to see over the years. I brought up the RCI issue in the Cabinet for at least three times previously, but it was (left) hanging without a decision.

“I brought this issue up again in the last Cabinet meeting (on Feb 8), and it was then that the Federal Cabinet made a decision … the prime minister will deal with the rest,” he told reporters after launching a calendar in the Kadazandusun language at SK Putaton near here yesterday.

Dompok, who is also United Pasokmomogun Kadazandusun Murut Organisation president, was asked to comment on a local daily report yesterday, that Najib was expected to make the much-awaited announcement on the matter during his visit to the state, slated for two days, beginning Feb 16.

On Friday, Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Datuk Seri Dr Maximus Ongkili was quoted as saying that it was possible Najib would announce it in Sabah this week.

On the possibility of the RCI being set up before the next general election, Dompok replied: “Certainly, any commission of inquiry should be done before the general election.

“Otherwise, the people might think that we will be doing it just for the election.” — Bernama