SEPANGGAR: The ability of the Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) to promote tourism in Sabah has achieved great success when 10,021 military tourists arrived and landed at the Sepanggar Naval Base in the past couple of years.
Sabah Navy Regional Two Commander Rear Admiral Datuk Anuwi Hassan said the number of military tourists recorded last year doubled the figures of previous years.
“Last year alone, about 6,260 military tourists arrived at the Sepanggar Naval Base, double the figures recorded in 2010 with 3,761 military tourist arrivals.
“For the past two years (2010 and 2011), we had received 30 foreign naval vessels with a total of 10,021 military tourists visiting Sabah.
“This is a great achievement of the state’s tourism and it shows that tourists are choosing Sabah as a holiday destination because the state’s waters are safe for visit,” he said at the Sabah Navy Regional Two Commander farewell parade held at the KD Sri Kota Kinabalu, Sepanggar Naval Base yesterday.
Anuwi will relinquish his post on February 24 and will assume the position of Assistant Chief of Staff (AKS) Operations and Exercise at the RMN headquarters.
The Sepanggar Naval Base will be commanded by Submarine Commanding Officer First Admiral Mohd Rosland Omar.
Anuwi said the Sepanggar Naval Base had become the choice of foreign naval vessels based on its logistic, tourism attractions, the beauty of Sabah and its worm hospitality.
He said any foreign naval vessels that docked at the Sepanggar Naval Base would receive a good service, which is part of their focus and approach to their guests.
“Among the foreign naval vessels that arrived at this base are from the United States, Brunei Darussalam, France, India, Australia and Singapore,” he said.