KAPIT: Thirty-three teams have confirmed their participation in this year’s Baleh Kapit Raft Safari to be held from April 6-7.
Kapit Resident Dahim Nadot, who is the organising chairman, said this at the final committee meeting on Thursday.
Of those 33 teams, nine teams are in the Men’s Bamboo Open category, 12 teams to compete in the Men’s Bamboo Closed, three teams in the Men’s Free Style event, five teams in the Women’s Bamboo Open category and four teams in the new category, the Paddle Boat Freestyle event.
“We are hoping to see more participation, especially in the Paddle Boat Freestyle category,” he said.
Dahim added that the deadline for entry had been extended from March 26 to the afternoon of April 2.
The meeting, he said was to finalise the preparation for the competition. He confirmed that Land Development Minister Tan Sri Dr James Masing would officiate at the flag off at the first launching station at Rumah Salang on April 6.
The flag off for the second launching point at Rumah Bangkong at Nanga Bala on the second day of the race, he said, would be officiated at by the Assistant Minister of Land Development Datuk Gramong Anak Juna.
Meanwhile, Kapit MP Datuk Alexander Nanta Linggi and Hulu Rajang MP Datuk Billy Abit Joo would officiate at the prize giving ceremony to be held at Kapit Wharf in the afternoon of April 7.
The annual event is jointly organised by Kapit Division Tourism Task Group, Ministry of Tourism and Heritage Sarawak, Sarawak Tourism Board, Ministry of Tourism Malaysia, Malaysian Tourism and Promotion Board in collaboration with the various government agencies here.
Dahim said that other side activities like Kapit Fest would be held at Kapit town.
Entry forms for the competition can be obtained from any Resident and District offices statewide including the Visitors Information Centres in Kuching, Sibu and Miri or are available at the website at www.kapitro.sarawak.gov.my