ALOR SETAR: Kedah Gerakan is seeking an explanation from the state government on allegations it has granted the Aman Central project to a private company without an open tender .
The party’s Youth chief Tan Keng Liang said the RM500 million shopping complex project was supposed to have been handled by Bina Darulaman Berhad, a subsidiary of Kedah State Development Corporation.
“The land had been given to the corporation earlier, so why was the tender given to another private company,” he questioned during a press conference at Gerakan’s Alor Setar office here yesterday.
He issued an ultimatum to Kedah menteri besar Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak saying they expected an explanation in a week.
“I give a week, until next Monday, for the menteri besar to explain the matter and if he fails to do so I will raise the issues of other projects which were granted without open tenders,” he said.
On a related development, Tan said the party had received numerous complaints from the buyers of business lots at Plaza Tunku Yaacob, who have yet to receive any compensation from the government, even though the building has been demolished.
“More than 40 acquisitions have been made but so far only 12 were fully compensated and the rest are still waiting,” he said. — Bernama