Fire destroys kitchen of a barrack


AFTERMATH: The badly burnt kitchen after the fire.

KAPIT: It was certainly a black Friday for a 47-year-old civil servant here when a fire broke out in the kitchen at his barrack along KM 1, Jalan Airport.

The mishap occurred around 4.30 pm yesterday.

The Fire and Rescue Department arrived within minutes and was able to control the fire before it could spread to neighbouring units.

Initial investigation revealed that the owner was boiling water in the kitchen and had somehow forgotten about it when attending to other chores outside the kitchen. When the water dried up, the kettle burst into flames.

Fortunately, no one was hurt in the mishap.

Deputy Resident (development) Selamat Jati and district officer Elvis Didit later visited the site and consoled the family of seven.

The fire department advised families to exercise extra care and to be alert during the drought.

“When you leave the kitchen, check and counter check to ensure your stoves or electrical appliances have been switched off. Farmers clearing their land must observe ‘controlled burning’ to prevent bush fires”, Selamat said.

On Thursday afternoon, a housewife at KM 1, Jalan Bukit Goram caused a fire while burning rubbish.

The fire, which spread to a nearby land, caused severe damage to the fruit trees there.