Thursday, June 20

Homestay operators expected to do better this year

0

KUCHING: Homestay operators in the state are expected to record better income this year following the allocation of RM5.6 million by the federal government to upgrade homestay facilities, said Tourism Minister Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Openg.

He said last year the 28 homestay operators in the state managed to amass income amounting to about RM1 million.

Speaking at a Hari Raya gathering jointly organised by Santubong Homestay and both the state and federal Ministry of Tourism, Abang Johari said for the industry to continue growing all homestay operators must give priority to safety issues and hygiene and also keep proper records of all their guests.

“Registration of all guests is mandatory in case of emergencies so that their next-of-kin can be notified etc.”

As for security and hygiene, he said it was necessary in order to prevent any unwanted incidents from happening.

“Safety and hygiene must be given emphasis by all homestay operators so that guests feel secure.

“If all these aspects are given the proper attention, our homestay industry can grow as more tourists will want to have the experience of staying with our local communities.”

On the Santubong Homestay, he gave them his thumbs up for being successful in wooing tourists to their shores.

He noted that tourists who opted for the Santubong Homestay get to enjoy the lifestyles of the locals, taste local food and visit historical places in the Santubong peninsula.