Sunday, May 22

Many ex-cops yet to receive aid from Budget 2012 — Ex-Police Association Miri

1

MIRI: Nearly 200 retired policemen who had served during the Emergency have yet to receive the RM3,000 government aid announced by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak when tabling Budget 2012.

Ex-Police Association Miri’s secretary Nazimen Rahmat said those affected were from Miri, Limbang and Lawas.

“We are sad (about the whole thing). Some waited for the money till their last breathe,” he told The Borneo Post recently.

Nazimen said their association had over 400 members and only a few of them had received the announced aid.

Retired Sub-Inspector Michael Usip Lasub is one of those still groping in the dark.

He claimed that he had applied for the assistance, but until today there was no reply.

However, he added, some of his friends did receive the RM3,000 assistance.

“I’m surprised as I had also served during the Emergency.”

Michael opined that the authority concerned should have standardised the distribution procedures and not simply pick anyone they fancy.

He recalled that when Najib announced the news last year, all in the target group were elated. But, that was then.

“I believe there are lots of retired police personnel who deserved this aid but have not received it yet. I hope the authority concerned would consider our applications accordingly.”

In the same boat is Hamid Shah, who said he was not informed whether his application was approved or rejected.

“We had served in the force and the ministry concerned must be alert to check our applications.

“Several days ago, the prime minister announced Budget 2013, so we feel that if we don’t pursue this matter now our names would be missed out completely.”

The Home Ministry could not be reached for comments yesterday.