LAHAD DATU: Another Malaysian Security forces personnel was killed during an exchange of fire between the security forces and remnants of the Sulu militants at Kampung Sungai Nyamuk, yesterday.
Armed Force chief General Tan Sri Zulkifeli Mohd Zin said the incident occurred at 10.45am during the final stage of Ops Daulat to trace down the remnants of the armed group.
He said that before the incident, the terrorists ambushed the security forces personnel at 7.45am and fled, with the soldiers giving chase, and the clash took place soon after.
“After that the armed group retreated and our security forces continued to track them down and a second battle ensued about 10.45am.
“During the battle, three intruders were killed, and unfortunately one of our security forces personnel was also killed,” said Zulkifeli at a press conference at Cenderawasih evacuation centre.
He added that that the mopping operation was still ongoing and expanded to Kampung Sungai Nyamuk and nearby area.
Meanwhile, State Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib said a 35-year-old soldier who was injured in the shootout in Kampung Sungai Nyamuk had been sent to the Duchess of Kent Hospital Sandakan.
The victim who was shot in his cheek was reported to be in stable condition, he added.
Nine security forces personnel and 57 terrorists have been killed since March 1 when the terrorists killed two policemen in Kampung Tanduo, Lahad Datu, after having holed up there since Feb 12.
On March 2, the terrorists ambushed and killed six policemen in Kampung Simunul, Semporna, and the government launched the offensive three days later.